Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The rest of the story

I hate to rush through the remainder of my hospital stay but I really need to catch up because I have a lot to say right now.

 
Anyway, I was admitted to the hospital on Sunday, 3/25/12, and had a drain tube inserted into my abdomen within an hour.  To say the insertion hurt doesn't even come close.  Yes, I was awake!  Over the next 12 hours the 800 mL bag had to be changed almost every hour.  The first night they drained 7.6 liters from my abdomen.  Yes, liters!  And later I heard from the nurse that the Radiologist was estimating that another 1.5 liters went all over the floor when I spewed like a geyser.  I was told more than once that I was definitely a Hall of Famer for not only 2012 but for all years they have been doing drains for OHSS.  You know what they say, if you're going to do be good at it!

While in the hospital I was on Heparin (blood thinner), Albumin (to help with the fluid retention, and IV fluids for the dehydration.  Someone from Houston Fertility Institute came by to check on me every morning and my RE called me many evenings just to see how I was feeling.  I was hoping to go home by Thursday but it was no go.  By Saturday, I was tired of having no privacy and my aching back was sincerely missing my Tempurpedic.  And finally on Monday, after 8 days, I was released from the hospital.

I must say that while I was there I had the most amazing nurses.  One was also a patient at HFI and had done 2 failed rounds of IVF and another nurse had been a gestational carrier for a family member.  I was really nice and reassuring that these women understood my situation.


The perks of being in the hospital:
  • room service
  • nothing else to do except relax
  • great care
 The cons of being in the hospital:
  • boredom
  • back ache
  • tiny, old, tube tv with 15 channels
  • no privacy
  • huge $$$ cost

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better soon! Nurses are great but there's nothing like being healthy at home.

    All the best wishes!

    ReplyDelete